LEAF International Expedition Guatemala
Get Off The Beaten Path with Fellow LEAFers
Meet Local Culture Keepers
Make Cross-Cultural Connections
Dates: June 30 – July 5, 2019 (6 days)
Cost: $835 (Land Only – Does not include flights)
This trip is not your typical tourist adventure. Anyone can go see Antigua – not many people can dive deep into the community & connect with the kids, music traditions & culture keepers of Guatemala.
There is so much goodness to jump into: Visit the LEAF International Guatemala music classes in action at the CEDIN school. Get to know the local community by participating in service projects. Have deeper engagement experiences by staying with host families for a more personal connection to the culture. Take a day or more to explore the stunning Atitlan Lake and lakeside villages of Panajachel & much more!
Stay tuned for more information on the addition of a LEAF Artist Ambassador co-leading this thrill-filled journey to Guatemala.
Why Choose This Program:
LEAF International partners with an established music and culture program at the CEDIN school
Meet and build meaningful connections with Guatemalans
Empower local culture keepers to preserve artistic traditions
Explore the incredible biodiversity of Guatemala from colonial Antigua to Lago Atitlan
Contribute to raising global awareness of indigenous communities and witness the importance of cultural preservation
Costs (Land Only)
$835 per person
June 30 (Sunday) – July 5 (Friday), 2019
6 days (with option to extend for personal travels)
Min 8 | Max 15 people
How You’ll Travel
This expedition is LAND ONLY, meaning each person arranges their own flights to and from the trip to join the group. Once together, private bus transportation and driver will be provided.
Number/Type of Staff
Supporting you on your journey will be a LEAF staff member, LEAF Culture Keepers and LEAF International partners. These trips are family-friendly, so bring your kids & their friends! Give them an opportunity to see the world as global citizens.
Please note that this is simply a sample itinerary to give you an idea of what we've done before and what we could create for you.
Day One: Arrival and Join Group
Day 1: Flight to Guatemala City Travel on own to GUA La Aurora Int’l Airport. Meet your per-arranged shuttle to Antigua. Check-in and free time to explore. Rendezvous with the rest of the LEAF Ambassador team, hike up to Cerro de la Cruz overlook and enjoy a welcome dinner after.
Day Two: Lago Atitlan Excursion
Day 2: Day Trip – Chichicastenango and Lago Atitlan Take an all day trip west to the famous indigenous market in the highlands town of Chichicastenango. Make a stop at the stunning Atitlan Lake and lakeside village of Panajachel. Return to Antigua.
Day Three: CEDIN School Visit
Day 3: Day Trip – Visit the youth,& staff of the CEDIN School. Explore El Tejar with local families.
Day Four: CEDIN School and Host Family Stay
Day 4: CEDIN School, El Tejar Visit LEAF International programs and music classes in action at the CEDIN school. http://child-aid.org/cedin-makes-a-difference/ Begin host family stays with parents of the students. (To be determined. Likely it will be 2 nights.)
Day Five: Host Family Day
Day 5: CEDIN School, El Tejar Free time with host families. More music classes and programs in El Tejar.
Day Six: Return Home
Day 6: Fly Home Depending on your return flight time, a shuttle to GUA will be arranged for you directly from your host family stay. If you have extended your return flight date, now will begin your independent exploration of Guatemala.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Professional General Liability and Errors and Omissions Insurance Policy ($10,000,000)
- Private bus transportation once in country
- Accommodations in shared facilities or homestays on site (5 nights total)
- Custom designed itinerary
- Entrance fees to all program sites and activities listed on the itinerary
- Demonstrations from LEAF International teaching artists and students
- Site visits to LEAF International programs
- Day excursion to Lago Atitlan and neighboring villages
- Full time LEAF staff member and cultural guide
- Breakfast and dinner each day (lunches are on own)
- All taxes
- Complete tour participant accounting including an option to pay by credit card
- “Cancel for Any Reason Insurance” (CFAR) – Cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a 75% refund minus the insurance premiums. This applies to all travelers (except New York residents) and is included in the trip price
What's Not Included?
- Airfare and baggage fees (to be purchased at the discretion and responsibility of each participant)
- Customs and immigration fees at airports or border crossings
- Various meals or drinks listed as “on own” in the itinerary when the group is dispersed for self-exploration
- Additional nights lodging or any additional days if one chooses to remain in country longer
What Should I Bring?
Refillable water bottle, good walking shoes. You must have a valid U.S. passport (not expiring in the next 6 months)
Good to Know Before You Go
• A full time local interpreter and cultural guide will accompany this trip.
• Remember to bring some cash/credit cards for lunches and additional food/drinks.
• Dietary requirements can be catered for – just let us know when booking.
Watch Highlights from previous LEAF International Expeditions to Costa Rica