You really went above and beyond the call of duty to create a meaningful, educational, interesting and exciting experience for us. Thank you so much for your hard work and generous spirit.
Local Expert Guide
Meals & Transfers Included
Special Guest Workshops
Our Haiti LEAF trip offers an unforgettable insight into the cultural importance of music and dance in this exotic paradise. All week you will have the opportunity to take part in dance and drum workshops with youth in LEAF programs & Boukman Eksperyans artists. An incredible once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet with the locals, make lifelong friends, and take part in a cultural and musical exchange.
Why Choose This Program:
An incredible insight into Haitian culture and arts
This trip provides the opportunity to get to know the locals, the way of life, and to experience the joy and magic of Haiti
Through your trip with LEAF you will be contributing to a safer, better future for Haiti and with the people you meet
All meals and land transport are included on this trip, so once you land just focus on enjoying your experience!
Teaching artists & special guests workshops are included
Explore Port Au Prince & surrounding villages
All our tours are individually customized to your interests. While we loved guiding this private tour, it is purely an example of what can be possible and we will tailor your day to day program to your interests. If you would like to go on this tour, or a similar trip, please get in touch.
Min 10 | Max 15 people
How You’ll Travel
Private motor coach with professional driver & all transfers provided.
- Professional General Liability and Errors and Omissions Insurance Policy ($10,000,000)
- Private bus transportation and driver for long drives between San Jose and San Vito and Ujarras
- Accommodations in shared facilities or homestays on site (6 nights total) – San Jose Casa del Parque (2 nights), San Vito (2 nights), Ujarras (3 nights)
- Custom designed itinerary
- Entrance fees to all program sites and activities listed on the itinerary
- Demonstrations from LEAF International teaching artists and students
- Site visits to LEAF International programs
- Opportunities for free time on the beach (Dominical) and city exploration (San Jose)
- Full time local interpreter and cultural guide (Member of Proyecto Jirondai)
- Breakfast and dinner each day (lunches are on own)
- All taxes
- Complete tour participant accounting including an option to pay by credit card
- “Cancel for Any Reason Insurance” (CFAR) – Cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a 75% refund minus the insurance premiums. This applies to all travelers (except New York residents) and is included in the trip price
Number/Type of Staff
Program coordinators will accompany the group at all times. Volunteers, guest artists, and local expert guides will also be on site.
- Airfare and baggage fees (to be purchased at the discretion and responsibility of each participant)
- Customs and immigration fees at airports or border crossings
- Airport transfer to first night hotel (we will try to collect flight information from each traveler in an effort to help you share taxis with similar arrival times
- Various meals or drinks listed as “on own” in the itinerary when the group is dispersed for self-exploration
- Additional nights lodging or any additional days if one chooses to remain in country longer
Please note that this is simply a sample itinerary to give you an idea of what we've done before and what we could create for you.
Day One: Land in Haiti & Get to Know Your Hosts
Welcome to Haiti! Once you land, we will provide a comfortable transfer to Prosjekt Haiti Port Au Prince Guesthouse. Prosjekt Haiti is a Haitian/Norwegian non-profit humanitarian organization which promotes education, work-training and social entrepreneurship in Haiti. Our hosts always welcome us with open arms and a big smile – we guarantee you will enjoy a comfortable and relaxed stay here! Spend the evening unwinding after your flight and get to know your hosts! All meals are included on this trip – eat and laugh over dinner with your hosts and fellow travelers.
Day Two: Explore Port Au Prince
Day two promises to be a fascinating day of exploration in this colorful, lively and sometimes chaotic capital! With the help of your English-speaking guide, wander the streets soaking up the sights, sounds and smells of a distinctly Caribbean city! Of course the Caribbean is known for its aquamarine seas and white sandy beaches that stretch as far as the eye can see, but today we are going deeper – exploring the capital and heart of Haiti to meet the locals and experience the culture, history, and way of life of the native people. Stops today include Pantheon museum, Fort jacques in Kenscoff or shopping at Caribbean market (snacks for St Louis du Sud).
Day Three: Travel to St Louis Du Sud
Today we will travel to St Louis Du Sud, a beautiful region boasting tropical trees, deep blue seas, and a distinctly Caribbean feel, to begin our summer camp preparations. Make the most of some free time to explore the area before enjoying an opening dinner and meet & greet with your program coordinators, volunteers, and guest artists. In the evening, with our bellies full, we’ll take part in a planning session with Etap Jenes (Youth Coordinators).
Day Four: First Day of Summer Camp
Awaken for your first day of summer camp! This morning we’ll visit a local village where your culture keeper will take you on an extraordinary journey into Haitian culture and art. This trip is designed to inform and inspire through the arts, cultivating an awareness of global citizenship and encouraging cooperation and friendship through the form of music. Music plays a huge role in Haitian culture. Through listening to impassioned drumming, singing and dancing, we’ll gain a huge insight into typical teachings such as the importance of communication with the land and the need for human respect. During this summer camp, we will not only gain a sense of the importance of music and expression in Haitian society but we will also uncover the ideologies and beliefs of the incredibly friendly and passionate locals.
Day Five: Hike to Careme
Today promises to be another day full of music, laughter and friendships! Connect with your fellow LEAFers and the locals through music, watch creative performances and take part yourself! Much of Haiti’s culture and history has been carried down and spread through music, so today offers further opportunities to learn more about Haitian people and traditions. In the afternoon we will hike to the village of Careme (where a new school was built) to witness the progress and development being made through collaborative movements driven by a desire to preserve and protect this region and culture.
Day Six: Lounge on a Caribbean Beach
Another day of summer camp, another day of collaborating with the locals. And of course, a trip to Haiti wouldn’t be complete without a visit to the beach! In the afternoon we will head for the coast to soak up the caribbean rays, lounge on the silky white sand or take a dip in the warm ocean – take advantage of your free time and embrace pure tranquility! With our minds and bodies relaxed, we’ll then head to Baie Du Mesle for a visit to this impoverished, yet hopeful, community. Again this is a fantastic opportunity to witness the overwhelming positive influence volunteers are making to this community and to the lives of the locals.
Day Seven: Witness a Special Closing Ceremony
Unfortunately today is the last day of Summer Camp for the crew, but the fun isn’t over yet! Experience a special closing ceremony, the final opportunity to interact and bond with the locals and to experience the deeply personal relationship between music and community.
Cuisine is not necessarily something that springs to mind when you think of Haiti, but you will be surprised by the plethora of fresh ingredients and rich flavors. Surrounded almost on all sides by the Caribbean sea, seafood is a special, and always fresh, treat! This evening we will be treated to a fresh seafood dinner before we travel back to Port Au Prince.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Includes housing in Prosjekt Haiti Guesthouses
- Transport to & from all travel locations (including the airport)
- Meals included
- Teaching Artists & Special Guests Workshops
- “Cancel for Any Reason Insurance” (CFAR) – Cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a 75% refund minus the insurance premiums
What Should I Bring?
Refillable water bottle, good walking shoes. You must have a valid U.S. passport (not expiring in the next 6 months)
Good to Know Before You Go
• A full time local interpreter and cultural guide will accompany this trip.
• Remember to bring some cash/credit cards for lunches and additional food/drinks.
• Dietary requirements can be catered for – just let us know when booking.
• This itinerary is entirely flexible and customizable. Simply get in touch with a member of our staff to craft your ideal trip.
You made it look easy and handled all the unexpected events with calm professionalism. It was a “fantabulous” trip!
During our stay you both did everything possible, and then some, to make sure everyone in our group had a safe, interesting and fun trip. Nothing was forgotten – no details overlooked. Your work and dedication to this trip is beyond comparison to anything else we have experienced in the past.