Frequently Asked Questions
- Professional General Liability and Errors and Omissions Insurance Policy ($10,000,000)
- Private bus transportation and driver between sites in Puerto Rico and shuttle service to and from the airport
- Hotel accommodations based on double occupancy (5 nights total)
- Custom designed itinerary
- Option for graduate credit from an accredited university, Dominican University Click Here
- Course alignment with National Science Standards and Common Core
- Recommended resources/teaching materials (age appropriate books, lesson plans, and online resources)
- Peer connections
- Certificate of Completion—Every traveler participating in the trip receives a Certificate of Completion from Discovery Expeditions.
- Entrance fees to all program sites and activities listed on the itinerary, some meals (see itinerary)
- Opportunities for free time on the beach and hiking in a rainforest and swimming in a tropical waterfall (La Mina Falls, El Yunque)
- Donations from our group to Chelonia and the Puerto Rico Chapter of Sierra Club, our conservation partners.
- Full time professional Discovery Expeditions tour escort and local interpreter and cultural guides from the National Park Service and Government of Puerto Rico; tour of the Las Cabezas de San Juan Natural Reserve and El Faro (lighthouse) (Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico); local sea turtle logistics coordinator (Rosa Fiel, Proyecto Tinglar Durado) and marine biologist/sea turtle expert; Tour of BioBay by expert marine biologists (Pure Adventure)
- All taxes
- All gratuities where the group is together (tour leader and driver included)
- Complete tour participant accounting including option to pay by credit card
- Comprehensive Accident, Medical, Liability, and Travel Protection/Cancellation/Interruption Insurance for the Land portion of the trip
- “Cancel for Any Reason Insurance” (CFAR) – Cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a 75% refund minus the insurance premiums.
- Airfare and baggage fees (to be purchased at the discretion and responsibility of each participant)
- Customs and immigration fees at airports or border crossings
- Various meals or drinks listed as “on own” in the itinerary when the group is dispersed for self-exploration
- Additional nights lodging or any additional days if one chooses to remain in country longer.
The trip is open to any adult or child age 12 and up who is accompanied by an adult. The trip has some special benefits for teachers or people seeking professional development, outlined below. Should be physically in good enough condition to hike up to two hours at a time in hot, humid conditions in steep forested trails and walk on sand at night for turtle patrols in one hour stretches for up to seven hours with short breaks every hour.
Refillable water bottle, good walking shoes. You must have a valid U.S. passport (not expiring in the next 6 months)
• A full time local interpreter and cultural guide will accompany this trip.
• Remember to bring some cash/credit cards for lunches and additional food/drinks.
• Dietary requirements can be catered for – just let us know when booking.
• This itinerary is entirely flexible and customizable. Simply get in touch with a member of our staff to craft your ideal trip.